SEOmonitor Tool Review
Did you know that there are 1.2 trillion searches on Google each year; that’s about 3.5 billion searches every day, or – wow – 40.000 search queries a second! So many searches, so many opportunities for your site to be found and clicked on, right?
Right – but only if you are lucky enough to be listed in the top five, or at least on page 1 of the Google search results as an organic listing. Reaching the top organically means constantly optimizing and monitoring; and with your optimization effort-results just coming in after 4 to 6 months (!), you really have to have the right strategies in place. SEO tools herein can make a huge difference as they can help you to spot the opportunities and steer you into the direction of following the appropriate methods. The SEO tool that we like to use to keep our clients ahead of the competition and to make them appear at page one of the search results, is SEOmonitor. SEOmonitor is – besides our well-kept secret – a very strong tool for discovering new keyword ideas and defining meaningful SEO strategies.
Say Hello to SEOmonitor
SEOmonitor is a rank checker tool with forecasting capabilities that helps us (and many more agencies) to overcome challenges by making the most out of the available data, to develop better strategies, to react faster, and to create and deliver insightful reports. It takes the data from Google Analytics and Google Search Console and gives plenty of information in return – (almost) the entire list of keywords that brought clicks to the website plus their landing pages are shown in a clear overview, it splits the organic traffic into branded and non-branded, and allows us to view a list of once deleted keywords.
SEOmonitor was launched in 2014 as a solution to bring back the non-provided keywords and to continue measuring non-brand traffic, after Google’s decision in 2013 to encrypt organic searches. Starting off as an internal tool by an SEO agency, the software is now used by over 2.000 brands. In 2016, SEOmonitor won the award for Best Software Innovation, at the European Search Awards.
SEOmonitor is a power-tool with a lot of power-features; from automatic keyword research and keyword grouping, to visibility-, opportunity-, and difficulty-scores, competitor insights, forecasting, and report building. Let’s highlight some of its superpowers to you:
* Automatic Keyword Research: the tool detects thousands of keywords that are relevant to you, shows how challenging it would be to rank in the top 10 of the Google results for such keywords, and the value it generates once you’ve made it to the top of the search results.
* Opportunity Indicator: by weighing the search volume, the difficulty, and the rank of each tracked keyword, SEOmonitor is able to prioritize the keywords that most probably have the biggest impact on visits, for less effort, in the shortest amount of time.
* Visibility Score: gives you an overview of the overall performance in Google. It helps you to identify changes in your SEO performance, compares them with non-brand traffic, and shows which keywords or keyword-groups influenced the overall visibility the most.
* Business Case Builder: visibility, seasonality, and SEO difficulty data are combined to create realistic forecasts of non-branded organic traffic and conversions, month-after-month. Besides, this feature is particularly useful when pitching SEO services to clients; you are able to create a data-driven SEO proposal in less than a minute, that will be hard for your clients to deny – what more could you ask for.
The price that you pay for SEOmonitor depends on the number of websites and keywords that you track. One website and up to 300 keywords – the cheapest option – is € 49 per month. With every website that you add, while keeping the same number of keywords, the price increases 10 euro. For every 100 or 1000 keywords that you add extra, the price-increase varies. And, when tracking more than 100.000 keywords, a custom price is designed for you.
Whichever pricing plan you decide on, you will always have unlimited access to all the features. When paying more than € 300 per month for the tool, you will also have unrestricted access to pitching resources, which comes in handy for any agency.
Wondering if SEOmonitor can be useful for your business, too? Try the tool for free, 14-days long – after this trial period ends, you will be able to extend it with two more weeks by subscribing.
* SEOmonitor was so kind to create a special coupon code for our readers. When you subscribe to the tool after the trial period ends, write Kubix50 in the promo code section to get 50 EUR credit!
Pros & Cons
As we are working with SEOmonitor for quite some time now, we are summing up the things we like about the tool, and what we think could use some improvements.
----- The pros:
* Daily search engine updates: before SEOmonitor, we used other ranking tools with weekly and bi-weekly update features. As SEO is a long term process and organic changes need some time to be tracked, we thought daily search engine updates wouldn’t be so necessary, however; with larger websites and website contents changing frequently, we soon realized that having a feature like this is useful in determining SEO issues quickly. With SEOmonitor we are now able to discover important SEO problems right in the beginning and act straight away – before even getting negatively impacted.
* Easy to group and smart-group keywords into folders: keyword smart-grouping is a feature which can help you to save time, as the system suggests keyword groups based on the keywords you are tracking. It is always useful to keep an eye on the grouped keywords.
* Keyword cannibalization warnings: this filter shows how many times Google has changed your landing pages in the SERPs, targeting the same keywords. If too much change is found by SEOmonitor, it means that Google can’t decide which keywords relate to which page. By looking into your cannibalization list, you may create new pages or update the content on those pages.
* Forecasting: forecasting is a really helpful feature for setting up goals in your SEO campaigns. When you focus on a set of keyword groups, SEOmonitor will forecast the amount of traffic and PPC costs, and predicts a what-if scenario. The forecasted data is based on your Google Analytics data that the account is linked to. For this, SEOmonitor has developed an algorithm that enables the prediction to foresee the revenue you are generating from your organic traffic or the grouped keywords your are tracking. This feature is quite handy to show an estimation of monetary value of your SEO efforts to the executive team who doesn’t understand the SEO process in detail, but just looks at the numbers to evaluate SEO performances.
* Opportunity indicators: the opportunity indicator is a basic calculation of how much revenue you would earn when you reach the top result. By visually looking at these indicators, you may change your keyword strategy and try to gain more revenue, with less effort. This is a great feature to set revenue and sales goals for your SEO efforts by defining position based KPI’s.
* Easy way to learn competitor keywords: SEOmonitor lets you easily investigate your competitors’ keywords and see which ones are frequently used. This will help you to find new opportunities. While many other SEO tools have similar functions, SEOmonitor shows competitor insights for specific keywords or keyword groups that you are focusing on, too. Plus: you can see which keywords are generating clicks for the landing pages of your competitors – making it a very handy way to reengineer the success of your competitors.
* Ability to download a snapshot of both Desktop and Mobile SERPs, as a html page: this gives you an idea how your pages are indexed in the real world-environment at the time of querying Google. With this feature you can again save time by not needing to switch back and forth to Google and check SERPs and meta-tags.
----- And the cons:
* Confusing user interface: there are a lot of icons and texts that function as buttons where you could click on, but they are not marked. Unless you hover your mouse cursor over the texts and icons, you won’t notice that it's clickable. Plus: when working with a lot of keywords at once, the UI refreshes and computes the data, slowing down the browser window hence overall speed, as a result.
* Forecasting: although we wrote the forecast-feature as a pro, we also think it has a con-side. The forecast number that this feature gives you is very broad. If you rely too much on the, maybe high, traffic or revenue number, you might get a false hope; so, be cautious about the actual number.
* Steep learning curve: there is good documentation, but getting used to and finding the best workflow could be hard.
* Somewhat expensive because of its daily search engine updates: but as mentioned before, if you have websites with lots of pages that are frequently changed, daily updates can be useful; then, the price you will be paying more is definitely worth it.
Conclusion: We Love SEOmonitor!
For our client Oleg Cassini, SEOmonitor really helped us out by finding cannibalization problems, keyword opportunities and keyword ranking data. And not only that, also the forecasting feature was very useful as we were able to predict possible revenues and conversions. With the help of SEOmonitor, Oleg Cassini is now indexed on the first page – and even first place – in the SERPs, for generic industry keywords.
All in all, we think SEOmonitor really is a wonderful tool that you have to try for yourself! With their flexible pricing plan, its just suitable for every company; whether you are a multinational or a startup! What are you waiting for ..
Not happy with your online performance?
Be our next client
Our team is here to quick audit your ppc campaigns, organic traffic performance or website usability.
Just Get In Touch With Us!