SEO Case Study
How The Global Brand Oleg Cassini Grew Locally With Search
As a half a century old American brand, Oleg Cassini is the top bridal and evening wear brand in the US, known as David’s Bridal, boasting collections being sold in over 400 stores across the world. Oleg Cassini kicked off its first stores in Turkey in 2010 and introduced a unique culture to Turkey's purchase habits for bridal gowns and evening dresses.
- Conduct a full audit to determine the issues which were preventing the site from getting indexed on the first page or search engines for most relevant keywords
- Improve organic leads and transactions from Oleg Cassini Bridal Gown and Evening Dresses products
- Increase organic traffic for generic and long tail keywords for all bridal gown and evening dresses related keywords
- Fixed cannibalization problems for some major keywords by optimizing page content and meta tags accordingly
- Moving the Blog from its subdomain (blog.olegcassini.com.tr) to a subfolder (olegcassini.com.tr/blog) so that it could benefit from the domain’s link equity
- Curated content pages for specific product groups for example proms dresses, bride’s mom dresses etc.
- Optimized for mobile-first indexing
- Prepared a content marketing strategy to get highly relevant backlinks
- Over %150 increase of organic traffic
- Getting indexed on the first page and even first place on SERP for generic keywords like ‘bridal gown’, ‘evening dress’
- Online sales from organic traffic increased by %90 and conversions for other online goals, for example online appointment leads, increased by %125
What We've Done
We started with our technical audit, which resulted in 38 prioritized recommendations, for example preventing crawling of duplicate and low-value content, fixed cannibalization problems for some major keywords by optimizing page content and meta tags accordingly, moved the site to HTTPs, recommended moving the Blog from its subdomain (blog.olegcassini.com.tr) to a subfolder (olegcassini.com.tr/blog), curated content pages for specific product groups for example proms dresses, bride’s mom dresses etc.
Deepcrawl helped us finding crawl errors, orphaned pages and mobile indexing issues, so we were able to find 404 pages and solve 301 redirection issues. Oleg Cassini had also lots of orphaned pages on the site which were not or hardly reachable for users. We improved the site’s internal linking by opening these pages to users.
Mobile-first indexing is a big issue for Oleg Cassini as more than %80 of the traffic is coming from mobile devices. As there was quite a lot visibility gap between the mobile and desktop website, we recommended that all the optimization process needs to be applied for the mobile website, too.
SEOMonitor helped us finding keyword opportunities and analyzing keyword ranking data to later define our SEO strategy. With this tool we were able to find high potential keywords for Oleg Cassini, we could see how competitors were performing for these keywords and it gave us hints on how we could improve our rankings on these specific keywords.
Other than that we suggested to open content pages for some sub-categories. In total, we suggested to open almost 20 extra content pages; 10 for bridal, and 10 for evening dresses. We prepared a wireframe for these content pages, as well as well-structured text and image contents. We first pushed hard to open the prom page as we didn't want to miss the seasonal trend which had a peak during spring season. Once we had these pages active, we prepared a content marketing strategy to get highly relevant backlinks.
What We've Achieved
‘Evening Dress’ is the hero search term in the dress market – searched over 160.000 times a month on Google.com.tr. When we started working with Oleg Cassini they were ranking at position 29, occasionally appearing at position 17, for this term. As of beginning of March 2018, they now rank position 3, outranking household brands including Pronovias and other big e-commerce players.
Rankings have grown site-wide across the terms. The organic visibility score increased from 28K to 42K by the end of April. From 1.200 commercial keywords we were tracking, 851 keywords were ranked first page, 530 keywords moved up to first page after we have started with our work. More than 300 of important search terms moved up to the top 3 positions in the SERPs.
With the newly opened and optimized sub-category pages we gained not only additional traffic, we also gained quality backlinks from authority sites. During the high prom season in May we got over 5.000 additional organic traffic to the prom landing page.
In 2018 we are having seeing incredible growth in relevant traffic, online appointments, and over 300% growth in e-commerce sales. Kubix Digital has worked very hard in understanding the bridal business and has done an outstanding job in increasing the performance of our web site in organic searches and conversions year after year. I want to thank the Kubix team for a job well done, a great partnership, and look forward to years of building our business together.